Wastewater Treatment and Tertiary Filtration
Biovis filter represents a fast flow water filter with a high Dirt Holding Capacity. The filter is applied in the removal of suspended and colloidal admixtures and other impurities from water by method of contact filtration.
Biovis filter can be applied in both reagent and non-reagent filtration of water as a stand-alone clarification system or as a secondary or tertiary stage of various water treatment processes.
Biovis filters successfully operate in various installations at metallurgical, chemical, food and drink, textile, leather and fur, and other processing plants.
Biovis filters use expanded polymer beads as buoyant filtration media. These polymer beads are hydraulically distributed in the water according to bead sizes – with largest beads at the top, and smallest beads at the bottom of the filter bed. This arrangement of a single filter bed provides an effective alternative to traditional multiple layers of different filtering materials. As a result, Biovis filters have a very high dirt holding capacity: they can retain up to 30 kg of solids per square meter of filter bed, whereas sand filters retain approximately only 2 kg. Subsequently, Biovis filters have longer filtration cycles in comparison with other filtration systems.
The polymer floating filtration media has a highly developed rough surface area and is very effective in the removal of colloidal, colloidal-soluble, fibrous and large dispersed admixtures. At the same time, the media is easily backwashed with minimal volumes of water within a short period of time.
In the backwash process, the influent from the above-filter section rushes down and its hydrodynamic flow pseudo-fluidises the filtering bed. The combination of a downward gravity flow of water and upward buoyancy movement of floating media produces a vigorous agitation/scrubbing effect, which results in the fast (from 2 to 3 minutes) cleaning of the filter media.
There are no pumps or air blowers, valves or float switches – the backwash process is based entirely on the gravity force and the difference of water levels. There are no auxiliary clean water tanks – backwash is carried out with the original wastewater. This significantly reduces the infrastructure of the filter, and eliminates high electricity consumption and unproductive use of large volumes of clean water.
Main benefits of Biovis Tertiary Filter
- The filter provides efficient removal of solids and other contaminants
- Highly reliable and robust
- Simple construction. No moving parts. No pumps. No air-blowers. All operations are based on the force of gravity and laws of communicating vessels.
- Extremely low energy consumption (one valve only)
- Very small carbon footprint
- Backwash duration: 120-180 seconds. Backwash performed with 1 – 3 % of filtered effluent
- No auxiliary tanks or additional equipment – nothing to go wrong
- No or very low operational costs
- Very low whole life cycle cost
- Proven track record in hundreds of applications over 30 years of development and refinement
Biovis filter can be used in other sectors of water and wastewater treatment industry:
- Phosphorus removal in chemical precipitation process
- Removal of iron and manganese from groundwater
- Buffer filters before slow sand filters
- Removal of solids after DAF systems, settlers, separators, etc.
Biovis Filtration Media
- Impervious to sludge slime / does not bond with sludge
- Chemically stable
- Does not fraction or wear away, so no top up is required
- Has an unlimited life span (practical experience – 25 years of service)